03 November 2009

Lake Loop Epic

This past weekend, Geof, Brian, Branson, Mike and myself decided to ride the Kerr Lake Loop Permanent. A week or so earlier, Geof and I were talking up the Lake Loop to Brian who was interested in getting his first 200K ride in. From a distance, it looked like we'd have good weather for Sunday. As we came into the weekend, things were looking considerably less rosy.

With a near 100% chance of rain, near steady temps in the low-mid 50's and a tough headwind for most of the route, this was to be an epic day. On the way to the start, my Shuffle queued up the Pixies, "
Stormy Weather" -- good theme song for the day.

Not long after the first group, we split -- Brian, Geof and I dropped back letting the fixie twins, Mike & Branson go -- the three of us stayed together for the reminder of the day.
For the first 70 miles or so, I alternated between being moderately comfortable and pretty cold. Any stop for more than just a couple minutes and it was tough to get moving again.

My biggest mistake of the day was experimenting with plastic bags in my shoes. I used a couple of the newspaper bags over my socks inside my shoes. For the first little bit, it felt pretty good, but water began to work into the bags, soaking my feet. I ditched the bags and put on shoe covers at the first control, but it took a long time to get my feet feeling warm again.


A tip of the chapeau to everyone for finishing such an epic and three cheers to Brian for finishing his first 200k! After this trial, they'll all seem much easier.

Mike D. also has a good write-up of our adventures. As you may have guessed by his photo, I was a little "under enthusiastic" before the start.

1 comment:

Doctor on a bike said...

Like I said over on Mike's report, "I'm not worthy".

That picture of the flag being almost torn off the pole from the wind really says it all.