07 June 2009

Small things -- Part I

Randonneuring is about big things -- long distances, long hours in the saddle, epic climbs, and epic weather. But sometimes small things can make a big difference.

I got hip to electrolyte tablets several years ago and they've made a big difference in my riding. Initially I carried my stash of tablets in a film canister -- it's compact, waterproof and carried all I needed for a 200~300k ride. Problem with the film canister is that it's tough to open & close while in the saddle.

A season or two ago, my buddy Lin turned me on to a better solution: M&M minis -- actually the tube they come packaged in. The little tubes have a hinged lid with a lip that makes it real easy to pop the top open and close it with one hand while riding. And as a bonus, you get to eat the M&M's too.

Of course, you can also get the tubes from
Hammer Nutrition, but you won't get any M&M's that way.

So, next time you find yourself wandering the candy isle, grab a tube of minis and refill the tube with electrolyte tablets (or your performance enhancing drug of choice) for your next ride. Oh, and by the way, the tubes work great for carrying M&M's too.

3 comments:

dean furbish said...

Great tip. -B! It beats my sandwich baggie, which is tucked away in my handlebar bag and too unwieldy to handle while moving.

-b said...

Hey Dean! I'll bring you one next time we ride together -- I have some extras.

dean furbish said...

Thanks for the gift. It worked well on the Kerr Lake Loop. Like you, I noticed that they are harder to find in stores.