12 February 2009

Making life easier: VAR tire lever


Gotta tire that is really tough to get on the rim? I mean, really tough. Blood, sweat, tears, and cursing, tough. Well, the VAR tire lever can come to your rescue.

The VAR tire lever (aka: bead jack) is one of those tools that isn't truly necessary, but it can help make life a bit easier. The VAR lever helps you pry that last stubborn bit of tire on while reducing the likelihood that you'll pinch the tube. It works by placing the forked end of the lever on the rim opposite of the remaining bit of tire that you need to pry on, then the hooked end of the lever under the stubborn edge of the tire. Pull the lever back to lift the bead up onto the rim -- that's all there is to it. It's the easiest way to mount a stubborn tire.

It's also small and light enough (about 60g) to be easily carried on the road in your tool kit.

So how do you get one? Um. Yeah, it's getting a bit tough to find the VAR tire lever these days. The only shop I'm aware of that keeps them in stock is
North Road Bicycle in Yanceyville, NC. Give 'em a call at (800) 321-5511

Bike Tools Etc. also lists the VAR tool(Item #VR-425C) in their catalog, and it looks like they have them back in stock.

10 comments:

dean furbish said...

Thanks for the valuable tip, -B; I'm going to try to procure one!

Dana Kilalps said...

There's a similar tool available at http://www.worldclasscycles.com/world_class_tire_mounting_jack.htm

West said...

I have used the VAR lever for over 20+ years and tried most other levers on the market. The VAR lever is truly the best for tight kevlar bead tires. The difference between the Kool stop bead jack tool is size. The VAR lever can fit into your tube/patch kit bag. The kool stop lever is larger and really meant to be a shop tool.

Cottenham Cyclist said...

I used to fight with tyre removal and fitting until I saw this video. If the tyre bead is squeezed to the centre of the rim, there is a bit more give in the tyre - I havn't used a lever to fit a tyre since.

Cottenham Cyclist said...

(Try again) This video - "How to fit a Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Slonie said...

Ah, this is the single biggest post of information on this elusive lever! I have the Kool-Stop, but as West said, it's too big to carry in a small bag. I would love to get the VAR lever...

danieljndube said...

Thank you so much for writing this detailed post. You may enjoy this one of my own, on my WordPress: http://bit.ly/RYWDFk.

Amazon is now carrying the VAR lever:http://amzn.to/UZ6ucO.

I once had a tire and wheel combination absolutely prevent me, despite significant strength, from repairing a flat. Fortunately, I happened to be two miles from the end of my ride, so I walked my ride home.

It is such information as you give here that solves real problems.

Dan, Maine

Samion Eric said...

googlecu

Micheal Hussey said...

Hurrah, that’s what I was trying to get for, just what a stuff Presented at this blog!! Thanks admin of the site.
Brecon tyres

Stepney john said...

This article has some vast and valuable information about this subject.
pirater un compte facebook